November 11, 2008

Close Enounters

Filed under: Everyday Life,Photography — Susan Stevenson @ 11:43 pm

Gratitude first, before I talk about close encounters:

November 11thWith much Gratitude to our Veterans!
From the time America won its independence, brave souls have stood to protect the freedom we hold dear. Thank you – all of you – for your dedication and sacrifice for this great nation.

With personal gratitude to my father (USAF – Korean War), my husband (ARMY – Persian Gulf War, OIF), my son Brandon, and my daughter-in-love Becky (both Marines – OIF) for their service to our country.

Thinking of, and praying for, the soldiers of our Fort Wainwright Stryker Brigade – and all of our brave warriors on foreign lands.

Flag Flying over Denali (Mt McKinley)

~~~~~~~~~~**********~~~~~~~~~~~

We had a moose encounter today. Look at the photos and read the captions. It was awesome! (I’m sorry I’m posting in full size – that’s the only way you can follow the story easily)

I was working on photos, standing at the kitchen counter. Steve came into the kitchen to get a glass of water. For some reason I said something about a moose, while taping a package. I raised my eyes to look at Steve as he responded, and saw a moose in our yard, just out the kitchen window.

She finds one of the still-standing – although frozen – sunflowers in my yard:

“Nom, nom, nom!”, as her sister/daughter comes into view

“Hey look! Another one!”

“It’s mine!”

“No, it’s MINE!”

“WIN!”

Someone’s looking out the window at me…

“Forget the window, I found a salad!”

“SHARE!”

“Find your own salad!”

“WOW! I hit the jackpot!”

“MMMMMMMMMM”

“Daddy, please let me out to get them!”

“Let’s see if the deck holds me!” (Excuse the towel hanging out of the door – we’ve got to get some weather stripping to fill a gap. The towel is keeping the cold out temporarily)

“It’s much easier to eat the potted plants from this level”

“WOW! Look at that HUGE glass window!!”

“HELL-OOOOO!!!! Anybody home???!”

“I see you in there. You can’t hide!!”

“Come out and play”

“I’m glad you’re finally sharing”

“I’m full. I need a nap”

“This is a good spot”

***yawn***

They napped until the moon came up (they’re walking away bottom of photo), and then went off to find something else to eat.

They spent 3 hours at our house. They arrived at 3pm, Steve left for work at 4pm, and they stayed with me until nearly six. What a real treat!

30 Comments »

1. Awesome photos—talk about up close and personal. How can you ever get anything done in Alaska where there’s always something beautiful to photograph?

Comment by Dewise Bailey — November 12, 2008 @ 3:24 am

2. oooo susan ,this gives me a giggle ,seeing those moose in your`garden.
    you had your moment yesterday with our place of the calender in the netherlands …..

Comment by gerda — November 12, 2008 @ 3:41 am

3. Susan,

These are terrific. That’s one of the major downsides of living in town – we don’t get moose here very often, though occasionally one or two wander through the yard. How fun for you to watch them that closely. I know my little dog would have been frantic to get out and play with them 🙂

Comment by Linda Douglass — November 12, 2008 @ 4:57 am

4. How cool is that! I know y’all really enjoyed it!

Comment by Kim in MS — November 12, 2008 @ 5:34 am

5. Amazing…I think I see great photos for the next calendar.

Comment by Charlene — November 12, 2008 @ 6:32 am

6. It was the most awesome of my moose encounters. You really get a sense of how magnificent these animals are when they’re only a few feet away and looking in the door at you!

I love living here!!!

Comment by susanstevenson — November 12, 2008 @ 7:43 am

7. This is really one for the gratitude journal! You are so lucky to live there and have these experiences and be able to share them with others to enjoy. 🙂 The photo of the younger one looking in the glass made me giggle too. How wonderful!! BTW, I got my calendar yesterday, which makes me so happy. The pictures are so impressive in person! I look forward to once a month turning the page of the calendar in 2009. Thanks so much Susan!!

Comment by Lea Ann — November 12, 2008 @ 8:25 am

8. Susan I really enjoy the pictures of the Moose Especially coming right up to your windows Looks like Steve really enjoy them They sure had a great time having their lunch
    You said that “I love living here” Have you ever thought What would you be doing if you didn’t live up there I’ll say one thing for sure There is alot of people out there Sure are more than Happy that you do you do live up there If not we could not be enjoying all your pictures and your Journal One other thing for sure is The Calendar you just had put out Also knowing you as everyone does
    Please you and Steve take care and stay warm

Comment by John & Shirley Strauser — November 12, 2008 @ 12:39 pm

9. w o w . . . .all I can say is wow!! & Wish I were there!! – & once again – wow – – -carole

Comment by caravagio — November 12, 2008 @ 1:04 pm

10. Wow! How awesome…does Sedona bark or just watch intently?

That last photo is Christmas card material!

Comment by Rose — November 12, 2008 @ 1:08 pm

11. Susan, That is the coolest thing ever! It is amazing how close they will come up to the house. As usual they are awesome photos! Take care!

Comment by Kerry — November 12, 2008 @ 2:50 pm

12. Great pics! You were lucky to have them visit in the daytime! They are harder to photograph at night! (SMILE) We do get them in our yard right in town sometimes, but these are the best! (SMILE) Thanks for sharing!

Comment by Bqarbara Logan — November 12, 2008 @ 3:12 pm

13. I wouldn’t have been able to get those shots. My dog would have barked and scratched the glass to get out and play with them. She actually tried to pull me onetime to play with a cow moose. I had to drag her home. Great shots. Can’t wait to get my calendar.

Tammy Kauffman

P.S. Love the shot of Denali and flag. It’s my favorite shot. Perfect for Veteran’s Day.

Comment by Tammy Kauffman — November 12, 2008 @ 3:15 pm

14. I love those moose. One of the many, many things I miss living in AZ. I’d rather be in AK. When we lived on Chena Hot Spr Road we had moose all the time. One year we had a momma with very early triplets!! Fish and Game fed them all winter long. Believe me it was such a treat. Thank you Susan for taking care of my Alaskan heart- I am forever and always grateful.

Comment by Mary — November 12, 2008 @ 4:08 pm

15. BTW – that last one IS indeed card material – maybe a photoshopped holiday tree there on the side :-))
    They’ll be back – watch for them around the same time of day. Have fun!

Comment by Mary — November 12, 2008 @ 4:10 pm

16. Thank you everyone for your comments! It was indeed a most wonderful occasion to be visited by such awesome animals! I love moose, and never thought I’d have one looking in my window. What a treat!

~Susan

Comment by susanstevenson — November 12, 2008 @ 5:23 pm

17. Great pictures!

Comment by Lenny — November 13, 2008 @ 6:36 am

18. AWE-SOME! How sweet it is…

Comment by Bob Emig — November 13, 2008 @ 1:04 pm

19. Moogie, Wow those moose pics are incredible. The shot with Steve looking at you with that “should i get my gun” look? Did you think that just maybe the moose would try to get through your door? Next time you do your food shopping grab a bag of spinach that will keep them coming i bet. ttys Brother Steve XOXO

Comment by Brother Steve — November 13, 2008 @ 2:01 pm

20. Sue,
    Like Steve, it looked to me like they were coming through the window! They would have been long gone by house… dogs jumping and barking and daughters screaming with delight! Heck, we get excited by the groundhog! What fun it must have been to have those visitors for a few hours!

Comment by Michele Chew — November 13, 2008 @ 2:57 pm

21. Said my Thank You’s to all of our veterans and military personal on Vet’s day! They are very very special people! I just love that photo of the Flag in front of that Magestic mountain! Awesome, just something about the red, white and blue that can take my breath away…I must be a little to patriotic..LOL…is there such a thing??? LOL!

The moose encounter is so amazing, but I would have been scared to death…oh my! How did the dog not bark and go crazy? They are just gorgeous and to see them up close like that…wow!!! Absolutely incredible photos! They sure were comfy at your house…you are very gracious hosts, you fed them well and let them have a nice little afternoon nap! How fun!

Comment by LynnMN — November 13, 2008 @ 3:46 pm

22. LOL!!!!!!!!!! Those are great Susan! The commentary is wonderful and so fitting! Salad! LOL

catch ya soon!
    Sassy!

Comment by Sassy — November 13, 2008 @ 8:43 pm

23. What incredible pictures, Susan! What a fabulous experience to have seen them that close. Whatever you had for a “salad” must certainly have been delicious for them. GREAT pictures!

Comment by Marylyn Jessup — November 14, 2008 @ 9:23 am

24. Yes! How cool! I always cut back the perennials so they don’t pull them out by the roots but always “leave the salad!” last year I looked up to see a HUGE moose rump 3 from me chair next to the window! LOL No picture to prove it.

Comment by Karen — November 14, 2008 @ 5:16 pm

25. Man, I miss those moose! Awesome pictures!

Comment by Jill — November 14, 2008 @ 9:24 pm

26. Amazing moose pictures! The commentary was so funny too, and really looked like that was what they were thinking! They look so cute with snow on their faces too! Thanks for sharing with us!

Comment by Heidi (NV) — November 16, 2008 @ 12:15 pm

27. What wonderful and amazing pictures! You were so lucky to have been right by the window. They didn’t seem to be afraid even though they knew you were there.
    My calendars arrived! Thank you so much!
    Gail from Maine

Comment by Gail Drake — November 16, 2008 @ 6:21 pm

28. And there was no concern of them possibly breaking the glass in the sliding doors?

Comment by Bob (Mass) — November 17, 2008 @ 6:42 am

29. What an absolutely wonderful gift to wake up to this morning! (Your photos) Thank you so much for sharing them. I can only hope to experience something like that in my lifetime. Life is good. 🙂

Comment by Loren (LI, NY) — November 18, 2008 @ 2:51 am

30. Hi Sue – I’m a friend of Steve and Dee’s – what a fabulous sight that was – you are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful place – maybe some day Dee and I will come to visit – enjoy – Paula

Comment by Paula — December 1, 2008 @ 10:30 am