On Thursday, Steve and I made the decision to cancel our trip to Homer after news that Mt Redoubt erupted again. I am so thankful that we did, as the volcano has erupted several times since then, and has been spewing ash up and down the Kenai Peninsula. Then, to make matters even more dangerous, avalanches closed the Seward Highway near Girdwood - the route we would take to Homer. If we would have gone, as planned, we’d no doubt be stuck in Anchorage right now - with no way, or desire, to continue our trip to Homer.
We are both very disappointed, but also glad that we made the decision to cancel.
You can read more about Mt. Redoubt at the Alaska Volcano Observatory website here: http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Redoubt.php
So far, there has been no ash showing up in Fairbanks. Fairbanks is about 400 miles from the volcano, so we’re relatively safe - however if the winds shift, we could see trace amounts. Ash is bad for engines, mechanical equipment and lungs, as the particles have sharp edges. This is not good for anyone with breathing difficulties (I have asthma), so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t reach the interior.
We’re considering a trip to Homer during Steve’s time off in April, although the eagles will not be active then, as they will be nesting. We originally booked a gray whale watch out of Seward in April, but that was canceled because the highway into Seward will be closed for bridge repair. We just can’t win! I hope these early season disappointments don’t continue into the summer months. We’re scheduled to return to Homer in July, and go on a bear viewing trip to Katmai while there.
So, with Steve off for the next few days, I’d like to at least take a scenic drive. I’ve got cabin fever and the temperature has been above zero with a lot of sunshine lately.
Until next time…